Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin’ high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
“We’ll meet on edges, soon,” said I
Proud ’neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now
Real nice version with a lovely and rather long harmonica part by our man.
Stanley Performing Arts Center
Utica, New York
24 April 1997
- Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar)
- Bucky Baxter (pedal steel guitar & electric slide guitar)
- Larry Campbell (guitar)
- Tony Garnier (bass)
- David Kemper (drums & percussion)
Continue reading April 24: Video of Bob Dylan performing “My Back Pages” in Utica, New York in 1997
I can’t wait, wait for you to change your mind
It’s late, I’m trying to walk the line
Well, it’s way past midnight and there are people all around
Some on their way up, some on their way down
The air burns and I’m trying to think straight
And I don’t know how much longer I can wait
…the version [of Can’t Wait] he finally went with on Time Out of Mind makes a pig’s ear out of a prize-winning sow.
~Clinton Heylin (Still on the Road: The Songs of Bob Dylan Vol. 2, . 1974-2008)
…one day Bob comes in, sits at the piano, and plays this song, ‘Can’t Wait’. And this is a gospel version. Tony starts playing this real sexy groove with him, and Bob is hammering out this gospel piano and really singing. The hair on my arms went up. It was stunning. Luckily, I was recording. We were thinking, ‘If this is going to be anything like this, this record is going to be unbelievable.’
~Mark Howard (Engineer on Time Out Of Mind) about the early version – “Oxnard version”
Time out of mind version:
Continue reading Bob Dylan’s best songs: Can’t Wait
A lot of people don’t like the road, but it’s as natural to me as breathing. I do it because I’m driven to do it, and I either hate it or love it. I’m mortified to be on the stage, but then again, it’s the only place where I’m happy. It’s the only place you can be who you want to be.
~Bob Dylan (John Pareles Interview, Sept. 1997)
I do a certain amount of concerts every year. But it’s not a constant never-ending tour. A part of me doesn’t wanna do it at all. Just want to quit right away. Playing is a job. My trade. Like you’re journalists. You are heading for the next news item, I’m heading for the next town.
~Bob Dylan (London press conference, 4 Oct 1997)
Here some of the Bob Dylan videos we’ve posted on alldylan.com from 1996-1999:
- June 26: She Belongs To Me & Maggie’s Farm, Liverpool, 26 June 1996 (video)
- June 26: Tangled Up In Blue @ Empire, Liverpool, England – 26 June 1996 (video)
- June 26: Man In The Long Black Coat, Liverpool, England 26 June 1996 (Video)
- June 27: Mr. Tambourine Man, Liverpool – 27 June 1996 (video)
- June 29: Hyde Park, London, England, 29 June 1996 (Videos)
- August 3: You’re A Big Girl Now, Atlanta, Georgia – August 3, 1996 (video)
- August 3 & 4: House Of Blues, Atlanta, Georgia 3 & 4 August 1996 (videos)
- Nov 10: Just Like A Woman, Mankato 1996 (video)
- Nov 10: Lay Lady Lay, Mankato, Minnesota 10 November 1996
- Nov 10: Mankato, Minnesota 10 November 1996 (Full concert video)
Continue reading Bob Dylan: Concerts & Videos from 1996 – 1999 @ alldylan.com
Throw my ticket out the window
Throw my suitcase out there, too
Throw my troubles out the door
I don’t need them anymore
’Cause tonight I’ll be staying here with you
San José Arena
San José, California
14 November 1997
Continue reading November 14: Bob Dylan Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You, San José, California 1997 (Video)
Every time my baby and me we go uptown,
Police come in and knock me down.
Cocaine all around my brain.
Hey baby, better come here quick,
This old cocaine is ‘bout to make me sick.
Cocaine all around my brain.
Bournemouth International Centre
1 October 1997
Continue reading October 1: Bob Dylan Cocaine Blues, Bournemouth, England 1997 (Video)