I don’t look at music from the standpoint of being a musician; I look at it from the standpoint of being a human being.
It’s not exclusive, but inclusive, which is the whole spirit of jazz.
Herbie Hancock is a true icon of modern music. Throughout his explorations, he has transcended limitations and genres while still maintaining his unique, unmistakable voice.
April 12: Herbie Hancock was born in 1940 – Happy 75th birthday!
Continue reading April 12: Herbie Hancock was born in 1940 – Happy 75th Birthday
The Year 1973 summary
- Great Britain, Ireland, and Denmark enter European Economic Community (Jan. 1)
- A ceasefire is signed, ending involvement of American ground troops in the Vietnam War. (Jan. 28)
- US bombing of Cambodia ends, marking official halt to 12 years of combat activity in Southeast Asia (Aug. 15)
- Fourth and largest Arab-Israeli conflict begins when Egyptian and Syrian forces attack Israel as Jews mark Yom Kippur, holiest day in their calendar (Oct. 6). Egypt and Israel sign US-sponsored cease-fire accord (Nov. 11). Background: Arab-Israeli Wars
- Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) hikes oil prices tremendously in retaliation for Western countries’ involvement in Yom Kippur War.
- US Supreme Court rules on Roe v. Wade.
- Movies: The Harder They Come, American Graffiti, The Exorcist, The Sting, Last Tango in Paris
- Deaths: W.H. Auden, Pearl S. Buck, Betty Grable, Pablo Picasso & Lyndon Baines Johnson
- Only one song per artist/group
- The song must be released that specific year
- Songs from live albums not allowed (that’s another & more complicated list)
- Max 20 songs
Please feel free to publish your own favorite songs from 1972 in the comments section…
AND lists like this are supposed to be fun! Don’t take it too seriously.
Here we go…
Continue reading 20 songs released in 1973 you must hear