First: Historical events
- President Nixon makes unprecedented eight-day visit to Communist China and meets with Mao Zedong (Feb. 17).
- Britain takes over direct rule of Northern Ireland in bid for peace (March 24).
- Eleven Israeli athletes at Olympic Games in Munich are killed after eight members of an Arab terrorist group invades Olympic Village; five guerrillas and one policeman are also killed (Sept. 5).
- Nixon orders “Christmas bombing” of North Vietnam (Dec)
- Gov. George C. Wallace of Alabama is shot by Arthur H. Bremer at Laurel, Md., political rally (May 15)
- US Supreme Court rules that death penalty is unconstitutional (June 29)
- Only one song per artist/group
- The song must be released that specific year
- Songs from live albums not allowed (that’s another & more complicated list)
Please feel free to publish your own favorite songs from 1972 in the comments section…
AND lists like this are supposed to be fun! Don’t take it too seriously.
Here we go…
Shine A Light – The Rolling Stones
Released on “Exile on Main St.” – a double album by English rock band The Rolling Stones. It was released on 12 May 1972 by Rolling Stones Records. The album’s music incorporates rock and roll, blues, soul, country, and gospel genres.
In 2003, the album was ranked 7th on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
Saw you stretched out in Room Ten O Nine
With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye.
Oh, couldn’t see to get a line on you, my sweet honey love.Berber jew’lry jangling down the street,
Make you shut your eyes at ev’ry woman that you meet.
Could not seem to get a high on you, my sweet honey love.May the good Lord shine a light on you,
Make every song (you sing) your favorite tune.
May the good Lord shine a light on you,
Warm like the evening sun.
Continue reading 21 Songs released in 1972 you MUST hear (video & audio)