Bob Dylan’s John Wesley Harding Covered
John Wesley Harding is Bob Dylan’s eight album, it was released on December 27, 1967 by Columbia Records. Produced by Bob Johnston, the album marked Dylan’s return to acoustic music and traditional roots, after three albums of electric rock music. John Wesley Harding shares many stylistic threads with, and was recorded around the same time as, the prolific series of home recording sessions with the Band, partly released in 1975 as The Basement Tapes.
John Wesley Harding was exceptionally well received by critics and enjoyed solid sales, reaching #2 on the US charts and topping the UK charts. The commercial performance was considered remarkable considering that Dylan had kept Columbia from releasing the album with much promotion or publicity.Less than three months after its release, John Wesley Harding was certified gold by the RIAA. “All Along the Watchtower” became one of his most popular songs after it was recorded by Jimi Hendrix the following year.
In 2003, the album was ranked number 301 on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
Many Dylan albums have lent themselves to loads of covers over the years, many quite different from the originals. John Wesley Harding was one of the easiest album to find good covers from.
Here are my chosen 12.
1. Ron Sexsmith – John Wesley Harding:
2. Wovenhand – As I went out one morning:
3. Dirty Projectors – I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustin:
4. Neil Young with Frank “Poncho” Sampedro and Booker T & the MGs perform Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower” in Nürburg, Germany, on May 18, 2002:
5. Jarry Garcia & David Grisman – The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest:
6. Patti Smith – Drifter’s Escape:
7. Fairport Convention – Dear Landlord:
8. Brian Auger Trinity & Julie Driscoll – I Am A Lonesome Hobo:
9. Thea Gilmore – I Pity The Poor Imigrant:
10. Tim O’Brien – The Wicked Messenger:
11. Johnny Jenkins with Duane Allman – Down Along The Cove:
12. Linda Ronstadt – I’ll Be You Baby Tonight:
Other entries in the series: