Today it’s 80 years since The King was born.
Let’s celebrate with 5 songs made famous by Elvis Presley & later also covered by Bob Dylan.
1. Mystery Train (Herman Parker Jr.)
Bob Dylan covered this song once during the Nashville Skyline sessions in 1969 & twice during the Shot Of Love sessions in 1981.
Shot of Love outtake:
Elvis Presley @ Sun in 1955:
2. Can’t Help Falling In Love (G.Weiss / H Peretti / L Creatore)
Recorded by Dylan at the June 3, 1970 for the “New Morning” album, but it ended up on the Columbia album “Dylan” (1973).
Elvis Presley – recorded for the film “Blue Hawaii”, released as a single October 1, 1961.
3. Lawdy, Miss Clawdy (Lloyd Price)
Recorded by Dylan @ Sony’s New York studios on September 30, 1994. It was supposed to end up on a Elvis tribute album that never was released.
Elvis Presley recorded his cover of ‘Lawdy Miss Clawdy’ at RCA’s New York City studios on February 3, 1956.
4. That’s All Right Mama (Arthur Crudup)
Dylan tried this one at three different album sessions, the Freewheelin sessions in 1962, “The Times They Are
A-Changin’” sessions in 1963 & finally @ the Nashville Skyline sessions in 1969.
From the Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan sessions Oct/Nov 1962:
Presley’s version was recorded on July 5, 1954 @ Sun in Memphis:
5. I Forgot to Remember to Forget
Recorded by Dylan in 1967 (Basement Tapes), and later @ the “New Morning” sessions August 12, 1970.
Elvis Presley recorded it at Sun Studio on July 11, 1955:
Other songs covered by both artists:
- Blue Moon (Richard Rodgers / Lorenz Hart)
- Blue Moon Of Kentucky (Bill Monroe)
- Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
- A Fool Such As I (Bill Trader)
- Frankie & Albert (Traditional)
- ‘Milk Cow’s Calf’s Blues’ (Robert Johnson)
- Money Honey (Jesse Stone)
- Peace In The Valley (Thomas A. Dorsey)
- Ready Teddy (John Marascalco / Robert Blackwell)
Red Hot (Billy Emerson)
- Stand By Me (Charles Albert Tindley)
- Tomorrow Night (Sam Coslow /Will Grosz)
- You Don’t Know Me (Cindy Walker / Eddy Arnold)