Video of the day: Leonard Cohen Songs from the road
Songs from the Road is a live album/and concert clip collection by Leonard Cohen. Released on September 14, 2010, it is his twentieth album.This is a great release both on audio formats and video, great sound and nice filming.
The audience is non-intrusive but warm. They are appreciating the music, but they are firmly in the background. Leonard Cohen wraps his warm velvet voice around every syllable. His backing vocalists complement him with angelic beauty. The band is tight and precise.
The songs are taped on different arenas but they flow effortlessly and it’s not a distraction at all. There are just small colour differences on the stage from one song to another, very subtle and classy.
Highlight for me: Hallelujah at sunset at Coachella, pure magic!
Leonard Cohen Songs From The Road:
1. Lover, Lover, Lover (from New Skin for the Old Ceremony) Sept 24, 2009; Ramat Gan Stadium, Tel Aviv, Israel 7:42
2. Bird on the Wire (from Songs From a Room) Nov 6, 2008; Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland 6:07
3. Chelsea Hotel (from New Skin for the Old Ceremony) Nov 17, 2008; Royal Albert Hall, London, England 3:30
4. Heart with No Companion (from Various Positions) Nov 2, 2008; König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen, Germany 5:05
5. That Don’t Make It Junk (from Ten New Songs) L. Cohen, Sharon Robinson Nov 13, 2008; O2 Arena, London, England 4:21
6. Waiting for the Miracle (from The Future) L. Cohen, Sharon Robinson Nov 13, 2009; HP Pavilion, San Jose, California 7:59
7. Avalanche (from Songs of Love and Hate) Oct 12, 2008; Scandinavium, Gothenburg, Sweden 4:16
8. Suzanne (from Songs of Leonard Cohen) Nov 30, 2008; MEN Arena, Manchester, England 3:40
9. The Partisan (from Songs From a Room) Hy Zaret, Anna Marly Oct 10, 2008; Hartwall Areena, Helsinki, Finland 5:17
10. Famous Blue Raincoat (from Songs of Love and Hate) Nov 13, 2008; O2 Arena, London, England 5:22
11. Hallelujah (from Various Positions) April 17, 2009; Coachella Music Festival California 7:30
12. Closing Time (from The Future) May 24, 2009; John Labatt Centre, Ontario, Canada 6:05
- Leonard Cohen – lead vocal, guitar and keyboard
- Roscoe Beck – musical director, electric bass, stand-up bass and background vocal
- Rafael Bernardo Gayol – drums and percussion
- Neil Larsen – keyboards
- Javier Mas – banduria, laud, archilaud and 12-string guitar
- Bob Metzger – lead guitar, pedal steel guitar and background vocal
- Sharon Robinson – background vocal
- Dino Soldo – wind instruments, harmonica, keyboard and background vocal
- Charley Webb – background vocal and guitar
- Hattie Webb – background vocal and harp