Thank you. I suppose you’ve been reading the newspapers and watching the TV? And you see how much trouble this world is in. Madmen running loose everywhere. Anyway we, we’re not worried about that though — it doesn’t bother us — because we know this world is going to be destroyed. Christ will set up his kingdom for a thousand years in Jerusalem where the lion will lie down with the lamb — we know this is true. No doubt about it. So, it’s a slow train coming. It’s been coming for a long time, but it’s picking up speed.
~Bob Dylan(before Slow Train – Santa Monica first show 1979)
The first gospel tour (Nov 1, 1979 – Dec 9, 1979) might be the best of the the three gospel tours, here is a wonderful show from – first of four @ Santa Monica.
And we love the Gospel tours !
Santa Monica, California
18 November 1979
- Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar)
- Fred Tackett (guitar)
- Spooner Oldham (keyboards)
- Tim Drummond (bass)
- Terry Young (keyboards)
- Jim Keltner (drums)
- Regina Mcrary , Helena Springs , Mona Lisa Young (background vocals)
Continue reading November 18: Bob Dylan live in Santa Monica, CA 1979
Bob Dylan played Carnegie Hall, NYC on October 26 in 1963.
The concert was professionally recorded & Columbia was planning a release in
December 1963.. rather late 64 or early 65 (check out comment from Peter Stone Brown), but they did not put it out.
- 6 songs were released in 2005 on the EP “Live at Carnegie Hall 1963”
- “Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues” and “Who Killed Davey Moore?” were originally released on The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961-1991
- “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall” and “When the Ship Comes In” were released on The Bootleg Series Vol. 7: No Direction Home: The Soundtrack.
Continue reading October 26: Bob Dylan – Carnegie Hall NYC 1963
Nuremberg, West Germany
1 July 1978
- Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar)
- Billy Cross (lead guitar)
- Alan Pasqua (keyboards)
- Steven Soles (rhythm guitar, backup vocals), David Mansfield (violin & mandolin)
- Steve Douglas (horns)
- Jerry Scheff (bass)
- Bobbye Hall (percussion)
- Ian Wallace (drums)
- Helena Springs, Jo Ann Harris, Carolyn Dennis (background vocals)
- Eric Clapton (guitar) on I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight & The Times They Are A-Changin’
Continue reading July 1: Bob Dylan – Nuremberg, West Germany – 1978
Classic Bob Dylan bootleg 1989: The Oh Mercy Outtakes
“Most of them [the songs on “Oh Mercy”] are stream-of-consciousness songs, the kind that come to you in the middle of the night, when you just want to go back to bed. The harder you try to do something, the more it evades you. These weren’t like that.”
~Bob Dylan (to Edna Gundersen, 21 September 1989)
There are several releases that has these outtakes, the first I found was Deeds of Mercy but my favourite is Mercy on Us: The Oh Mercy outtakes remastered. Essentially the same release but with better sound. I think they managed to cut the hiss, without ruining the music – unlike so many other times…
“These recordings have traded for years, and have appeared on several commercial bootlegs. The cover states the tracks to be remastered, and indeed they sound great. The package is a cardboard triptych with some beautiful “Oh Mercy” inspired graphics. The track list shown on the back cover is correct except for one thing…What Good Am I? has a misspelling and appears as “What Goog Am I?”. Other than that typo, this is truly a stunning title . Highly recommended!”
Highlights: Born in Time, Shooting Star (both takes) and God Knows but everything is highly recommended and I would pick different songs if you asked me another day.
Other entries in this series:
My Favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 1962: The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan Outtakes
My Favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 1969: The Dylan / Cash Sessions
My Favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 1973: The Pat Garrett sessions
My favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 1983: Infidels outtakes (Rough cuts)
My favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 1995: Prague 3 nights in March
My favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 2011: Funen Village Denmark June 27
My Favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 2012: The Day of Wine and Roses, Barolo, Italy July 16
My Favourite Bob Dylan bootleg from 2014: Gothenburg Sweden July 15
Continue reading Classic Bob Dylan Bootleg: The Oh Mercy outtakes 1989
These tracks started circulating in June 2016 when the bootleg After The Empire became available.
Los Angeles, California
31 October 1985
- Bob Dylan (vocal, guitar &harmonica)
- Unidentified musician (guitar)
- Unidentified musician (keyboards)
- Vito San Filippo (bass)
- Raymond Lee Pounds (drums)
- Carolyn Dennis, Madelyn Quebec, Elisecia Wright (backup vocals).
Continue reading Bob Dylan Bootleg: After The Empire (studio October 1985)